While we are instructed to stay focused on our goals, to never lose sight of what we what and where we want to go, oftentimes is it empowering to look behind you and appreciate the progress that you have made. Sometimes it is equally important to just celebrate just how far you have traveled!
According to Jeffrey Gitomer, nothing happens until a sale is made. In his book “Be Obsessed or Be Average”, Grant Cardone states that “sales is not a department, a career or someone’s job. Sales is the god of any business”. Bold statements? Yes! And so very much true. Many experts understand and appreciate the fact that our modern day economy is built by and driven by sales. Without it, businesses, as we know them, would not exist. Have any doubts regarding the truth of this statement?
Consider these statistics. 80% of new startups, fail within the first year. Of the remaining 20%, half fail before the 5th year. Wow! Yes, let me repeat. Of the remaining 20% of new startups that survive the first year of being in business, half fail before the 5th year mark. You think this is alarming? Consider this number. Only 6% of the businesses that started out 10 years ago, are still operational. The other 94% have closed their doors long before their 10th year mark.
Of course, there have been many studies conducted articulating the “Whys”. Essentially, all these reasons boil down to two major factors. The first is lack of access to capital. Sadly, most small businesses do not have the connections, the credit history, nor the collateral necessary to get the capital necessary to start and sustain the working cash flows requirements of their businesses. But even if they could, such a move would be a mistake according to Mark Cuban. In 2013, in an interview with a reporter from Bloomberg, Mark is quoted saying “only morons start a business on a loan. Is he right? Regardless of whether or not you agree or disagree with Cuban’s statement, there is a second reason more impactful at play.
Let’s say the business gets the loan. How will the loan get repaid? The answer is simple. The business owner repays the loan and cover all the other immediate cash flows needs, by generating sales. Yes, that is right. It is the failure to generate enough sales that causes the majority of business to fail. Grant Cardone makes this point eloquently, when he says that businesses fail, because not enough consumers buy products in large enough quantities and at margins high enough. If a company does not continue to grow new revenue it shrinks. No sales; no business; period. So, if your business is struggling to generate sales, I ask what will you do about it? If you do nothing or keep trodding along the same tired and unproductive path, you might find yourself being one of the grim statistics quotes earlier.
How many of us get disappointed when we don’t get what we desire to have? By the same token, how many of us get distressed when we get that which we have an aversion toward or get that which we don’t want? Think about this again! We don’t get what we desire, yet we get what we don’t desire!!! Frustrating and distressing!!!!
It is said that in the pursuit to get what we want and to avoid what we don’t want, there are things that are within our sphere of control. For those things we desire and are within are control sphere, we should do all that we can to drive towards that end, AND for those things that we have an aversion for and for which is in our sphere of control, we should do our best to combat against. Yet, for those desires and aversions that we have no control over, we should not worry about them as we will only cause ourselves to be stressed about things we can’t control.
This sounds very logical and sensible right? Yet, is life simply about what we can and can’t control? Just think about this. While I may not be in a position of power to control what law is or is not passed in my society, I am in a position to influence the decision makers or the people who do have the power to make such decisions. This assumes, however, this matter is important to me such that it compels me to act towards impacting this end despite the fact that I can’t and don’t have direct control and that my intention to influence the outcome may or may not be successful.
A Sales Performance Gap Analysis, is an assessment tool which evaluates the current sales performance against targeted or desired sales performance to determine what gaps exist between the two. It shows what is lacking between the ideal state and the present state. By conducting a Gap Analysis for our clients, we are able to then identify the skills or solutions needed to bridge the gap so that the organization can act accordingly to move forward towards the goal.
From this analysis, an action plan is then developed that outlines the steps the organization needs to take in order to close the gap between the current performance the targeted performance.
This is the very first step that we recommend all clients begin with in doing business with us. This critically important and highly necessary first step, then allows us to know objectively what the challenges are and what should be done to correct or eliminate those challenges.
Eddie Gonzalez from IDEK Systems and I are leading an event Hosted and Sponsored by the North Valley VEDC. Please come and support us Thursday June 28th from 6 PM – 8 PM. Address is 13420 Van Nuys Blvd, Pacoima, CA 91331. You can register online at www.vedc.org/events
I have 3 projects that I need help with:
- I need to have subscribers to my blog, registrants to my events and folks who fill out contact forms on my site (wordpress site) pushed/ deposited/ inserted as a lead into my Zoho CRM;
- I need to have all followers from my various social media sites pushed/ deposited/ inserted as a lead into my Zoho CRM;
- I need to integrate a payment capture system as the last step in registering for an event.
If you can help, AND if it is affordable, then shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
You don’t get a degree, win a marathon, become a doctor, graduate at the top of your class, win an NBA, NFL or MLB championship, have a successful career, realized your dreams by accident, by happenstance or by chance.
No, you do so by intentionally pursuing it.
From Dave Brock’s Blog
Top performers are obsessive in their learning because the are very goal directed. Their learning is purposeful and intended to help them achieve their goals. Their goal is not just to be the most knowledgeable person in the room/conversation, but to achieve something. Whether it’s to incite a customer to change, gain support for an initiative within their own organization, build or grow a business, they leverage knowledge in execution.
But they are relentless. They know they will be kicked in the teeth, they will fail, they will fall short of their goals. They aren’t deterred, they keep going–but not blindly, but based on what they’ve learned. Their past experience informs and focuses their future execution. They are agile, nimble and adaptable in their execution. They recognize that doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result is insanity. They learn the power of pivoting–whether it’s a business strategy, a sales strategy, or something else. Read more
What have I done today that is taking me closer and closer to my destination?
What did I do today that took me off my course?
What do I need to repeat tomorrow?
What do I need to eliminate tomorrow?
What do I need to add tomorrow?