If you got an expected gift of an old automobile that needed a lot of work, how would you view the gift? If you were in sales and your first sales call went wrong, how would you view that call and the next call? Let’s say the first 5 calls went the same way? How would you now respond? How would you respond if and when your spouse did not respond to your attempts to be sexually intimate? What if this happened a lot? What if your boss beaconed you into his office and informed you that unfortunately, due to budget cuts or any other number of reasons, the company had to let you go today? How would you respond?
What is it?
In his book, Failing Forward, John C. Maxwell, defines positive attitude as “ expecting the best in everything, not the worst; remaining upbeat, even when you are beat up; seeing solutions in every problem, rather than problems in every solution; believing in yourself, even when others believed you have failed; holding onto hope, even when others say it is hopeless”. Having a positive attitude is part of quest for self-control. At the end of the day, what happens to you and how you view what happens to you are entirely different.
What are the benefits?
Having a positive attitude can have huge profits. According to the Mayo Clinic, possessing a positive attitude can have major health benefits like:
- Increased life span;
- Lower rates of depression;
- Lower levels of stress;
- Greater resistance to the common cold;
- Better psychological and physical well-being;
- Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular diseases;
Having a positive attitude can also mean having better coping skills during hardships and time of stress. This can result in being “boosted up” when you are down. It can also mean “springing back” into action after a devastating experience or loss. It can also supercharge you when you are already in the zone.
What are the costs?
The costs of a negative attitude can be minor or major. Examples of minor costs include loss of energy, or constantly fatigued. Having a negative attitude can rob you of your passion, confidence and drive. Having a negative attitude or bad attitude can mean the loss of a job, the loss of a loved one.
When should you have it?
A positive attitude is something that you need to have all the time, no matter what. It is an attitude that you must have during challenging and difficult times, because it is this attitude that will help the journey through adversity less painful and less in terms of time. One must begin to have this positive attitude today.
How do I develop it?
Like any other principle for success, developing a positive attitude can be as simple as following a few very important steps.
- Fully understand the difference between a problem and a fact of life; a problem is something that can be solved. A fact of life is something that is out of your control and should be accepted and moved on from. Floods are a fact or life. Where you buy your home is a problem. Your race is a fact of life; who you choice to associate with is a problem.
- Begin to accept that fact that bad days will happen, but that you have a choice in how you respond to those bad days;
- Adopt a belief that frame events in a positive way; Instead of looking at the glass have empty; begin to look at it as half full. Instead of looking at the rain as ruining a bad day, begin to look at this as an opportunity to do things around the house that you have been putting off.
- Avoid negative environment and negative people. Avoid reading, listening to or watching negative stuff on a daily basis. These negative things become the food for the mind.
- Begin the day with positive, inspirational or motivational songs, poems, etc…;